Saturday, June 14, 2008

Traditional Thai vs Exotic Thai

Went to eat in the "Traditional Thai" this evening, a place that sits above a pub and which has no windows. Saturday night so one would think that some other people had the same idea of having some food in there too but noop, I was the only one which was not a 'promising' sign. Nevertheless I gave it the benefit of the doubt and ordered my drink: cider (I had it last week and was delighted that I was in a country again where it is being sold). I was directed to go down stairs though and buy it in the pub and bring it back up again. "But don't tell anybody otherwise I will get in trouble" the waitress told me. I put my hand on my heart and became an instant accomplice which is what eating out should be all about. Anyway, got back to my table with a green bottle hidden behind my arm in case the "who ever was in charge" crossed my way. No need to be concerned though, still nobody else around, anyway why worry, I could always stop being an accomplice and point the finger to the waitress... no I wouldn't. But nevertheless the cider tasted good, and so did the coconut soup and the mixed veggies with tofu even though I needed a magnifier to find the latter. But still, did it compare with the Exotic Thai in Burbank... well apart from the cider, I don't think so.

I shopped around for a bike today, I would like to use one to get to and from work. So it should not be a mountain bike or a "Tour de France" bike, just a plain bike without shock absorbers or any other fancy stuff. It turns out that what I am looking for is called a hybrid or a commuter bike over here. In two stores I was told (and shown) that they come with 27 inch wheels rather than the 26 inches that go with a mountain bike. Well that was before I arrived in a store where they claimed that 27 inch wheels don't exist in NZ. He was a nice guy though but his credibility went out of the window right there and then. Anyway I am a bit wiser in terms of pricing, quality and sizes. Will do a bit more research tomorrow. Once I have a bike the main challenge will be to climb the hills near my home, something that I am not looking forward to at the end of a working day. But hey, I want to loose a few kilos so I should give it a try.

Another thing I did today was to extend the audio CD from the public library. Initially I thought I had to go down town and do the renewal in person. Then it struck me that perhaps I could do it over the phone which was a major revelation in my mind... so I found the piece of paper that I received the last time during check out (it lists all the items that I borrowed) and yes it had a phone number. What made this exciting as well was that I now could use my new phone for the first time (nothing more exciting than using something new for the first time). Anyway I got through to a nice sounding voice on the other end who informed me that no I could not extend the item over the phone, the only way to do that was by means of the internet. No worries, that would give me the opportunity to use my computer for something else than blogging and e-mailing (nothing more exciting than using something for a different purpose). Anyway after three or five clicks I could use the audio CD for another week, something to be proud of considering that my alternative approach had worked out in the way it was supposed to be. Sometimes simple things are great to validate oneself :-)

Last but not least, I bought a 25 meter long ethernet cable (which turns out to be a bit too optimistic in length but anyway). Since the internet company provided me with a very short cable I had to put the computer close to the access point that is near the front door. But now I can have my computer on the big dining table which allows me to have paper, books and food and drinks around me as well. I bought two speakers in the same store so I have been listening to BBC 6 while typing this blog. No need to be concerned about the volume too much, the neighbors are not on the other side of the wall (like in Burbank). Made myself a nice cup of English breakfast tea and even opened up "Die Gestalt des Menschen" by Gottfried Bammes. Life is good :-)

2 comments:

The Opaque Hand said...

Heat, food, running water, internet access.

What more does the urban survivalist need?

df said...

Hi Rene. Glad you are all moved in. I love this journal of yours. Thanks for visiting my blog, so I can read yours! We miss you. Hope you are drawing.. I better go check your other blog.