Monday, June 2, 2008

Mnt Victoria Tunnel

Raining cats and dogs this morning, breakfast is on the 9th floor and the rainy and windy view was spectacular. Anyway a colleague suggested to explore the Hataitai neighborhood so I looked at the map of Wellington and decided to walk rather than taking the car (my hotel is on Wakefield, in the city center). I ended up walking through Mnt Victoria tunnel, a busy 2 lane car tunnel with a pedestrian walk along side it. Needless to say that the fumes and the walking are not really compatible. Once on the other end I walked around Hataitai and felt that it was ok, nothing spectacular really (one can see the airplanes landing though), just a few shops and the rest is very residential, a 'may be' in terms of renting a place over there but I think I will try Miramar and Seatoun first. Took the bus back, not because of the rain (which had stopped falling a long time ago) but because I didn't want to go back through that tunnel again. Tomorrow will be more house hunting for me...

Just to give you an idea about internet and mobile phones... there are no free WiFi spots over here, I am using the one in the hotel at the moment which comes for $20 for 24 hours. I bought a pre-paid vodafone sim card... 89 cents a minute :-( When buying a phone plan the price is less (not much though) but the number of minutes are minimal. In the US one can get 1000 minutes, the equivalent over here is about 50 minutes. I looked into an internet connection into my future home, and it seems that there is a limit on the number of downloadable bits. When you exceed that number then you have to pay for an extra 'gigabyte package'. So watching tv shows or other movies on your computer is a risky business over here... just so you know :-)

1 comment:

littlececilia said...

What kind of crazy country is so tight about their internet? And you're wasting all these minutes blogging?

But I have some questions:
1) What is MMC?
2) What will you be doing there?